Here is a comprehensive step by step moving house checklist, which will allow you to systematically plan your move, no matter where you are in Australia. Our checklist begins 1 month before your moving date, however you can start planning even earlier if you wish!
1 Month before moving house
- Put together an inventory of all your belongings, keeping records of any items with scratches or cracks.
- Check in the garage, under the house, in the crawl space and any other spots that may be overlooked.
- Make a separate list of your most sentimental belongings, valuables and crucial documents that you want to transport yourself during the move.
- Get rid of everything that you don’t need. Dispose of unwanted items in rubbish or recycling. For good quality items look to donate to charity or sell at public auction.
- Confirm with your agent or solicitor the date of settlement and time at which you can pick up the keys to the new property. This will allow you to plan a suitable moving date.
- Lock in a quality removalist company. Determine the size of truck needed based on the items are you moving – the company will be able to advise on this. Be sure to get a written quote for the costs.
- Measure the spaces in your new home (including entrances) to ensure that bigger items will fit through doors, and in their allocated spaces.
- Organise Home and Contents Insurance for your new home.
- Redirect or cancel newspaper and other subscriptions.
- Contact all relevant companies to update your mailing address details. Consider setting up a temporary redirection to avoid losing any mail.
- Return any rented or borrowed items.
- Go through your pantry, throw out any expired items and start planning meals with remaining food. Plan meals with items that are in your freezer.
- Organise storage for items if required.
- Book a hard rubbish collection with your local Council.
- Book a cleaner and organise a property inspection (if renting).
- Empty any gas cylinders and dispose of any flammable liquids.
2 weeks before moving house
- If the moving day falls on a day you would normally work make sure you organise time off.
- Contact your internet provider to switch your connection from the old home to the new home.
- Update your drivers’ license and car registration with VIC Roads and notify the electoral office of your new address.
- Arrange final readings of electricity and gas meters. Call utilities providers to switch your services to the new address.
- Book a locksmith to change your keys for the new home on the day of the move.
- Fill any prescriptions that you require for the week on either side of the move.
- Pickup dry cleaning and collect any items that have been sent for repair.
- Disassemble any large items outside including shed, play equipment and portable clothesline.
- Create a DIY Kit to use during the move. This should include Allen keys, Stanley knife, a screwdriver, hooks, tape, hammer and nails.
1 week before moving house
- Create a list of each room in the new house and plan the placement of furniture to advise removalists. Have your colour coded boxes also on this list.
- Move all indoor plants into plastic lined boxes and give them a light water.
- Backup your computers onto an external hard drive.
- Put aside clean sheets, pillow cases and towels to be used on the night of your move.
- Contact the removalist to confirm the moving day details and make sure they have all your correct contact information.
The night before moving house
- Pack an overnight bag that contains the items you will carry with you on moving day.
- Empty out your fridge and defrost the freezer. Give it a good wipe down and leave doors open. Organise esky and ice to transport perishables.
- Unplug and tie up cords for your appliances. (if not attached to the appliance, look to put these in your “Critical Items” box.
- Say goodbye to your current neighbours. The ones you like, at least!
- Keep your essential items for that night and the next morning in a place that is easily accessible.
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Ensure your Critical Items and Immediate Items boxes are both easily accessible.
- Put aside all other belongings you are carrying yourself and don’t want packed onto the removalist truck.
- Give the moving company your room list with furniture plan and box colour chart.
- Tick off all items/boxes as they are loaded into the moving truck.
- Do a thorough check of all rooms, cupboards and outdoor areas in your existing home in case any items have been overlooked.
- Turn off the power, lock all doors and windows.
- Return all sets of keys to the current agent.
At the new house:
- Inspect all rooms and fixtures to ensure they are in suitable condition.
- Ensure that all utilities are connected and that the hot water is switched on.
- Crosscheck your list to make sure all items are unloaded from the removalist truck and placed in the appropriate rooms.
- Check all the new keys to make sure they are working in the locks.
- Assemble the beds and make them as soon as possible – the longer it goes the more effort it will be!
- Give children and pets any special toys to make them feel at home.
- Pop the champagne and settle in to your new dwelling!
For more information on our fully managed removal and relocation services, contact Classic Moves on 1300 738 035. We are available 7 days a week.